In the exhibition about the building history you can learn more about the varied history of the castle and its predecessors.
Reconstruction And Extension 1909-1912
Castle Waldenburg received its present appearance as a result of an elaborate reconstruction under Prince Otto Victor II of Schönburg-Waldenburg (1882-1914) between 1909 and 1912.
Under the supervision of the Royal Saxon Court Building Councillor Gustav Frölich (1859-1933), parts of the 19th-century building were removed, and all rooms and their functions were rearranged according to contemporary requirements. Technically, Gustav Frölich equipped the castle with the most modern achievements for the time around 1910, such as complete electrification, telephone, central steam heating, hot water system, complex ventilation, food lift, separate extinguishing water pipe and central vacuum system.
Significant changes to the architecture resulted from the insertion of the eastern side wing, the change of roof shapes and the layout of the terraces.
The north and south sides of the castle were provided with sandstone veneering, porphyry pilasters and gable structures at the middle risalit.
The main portal was upgraded by the addition of a protruding altar with a sandstone driveway.
The interior is, according to the aristocratic living culture, very luxurious. The vestibule was designed by the architect with carved artificial limestone, the floors and stairs are covered with white and black marble.
The spacious staircase with skylight was created by overbuilding the centrally located old courtyard.
Particularly valuable in terms of art history are the festive hall, the blue and yellow hall, the library, the Chinese room, the tapestry room and mirror rooms as well as the staircase and vestibule. This ensemble of reform architecture is one of the most consistent and comprehensive examples of eclecticism.
The architect Gustav Frölich, who was striving for the highest quality of Dresden's building tradition at the turn of the century, engaged companies and craftsmen who had already worked for the Saxon court.
In 1928 the property was transferred to the property of an association in order to make it and the art collections in the castle accessible to the public and the scientific community.
After the end of the war in 1945, the property was partially plundered. In 1948, the district council of Glauchau made it possible to open a lung sanatorium in the building. This not only prevented the planned demolition but converted Schloss Waldenburg for decades until 1998 into a use as a specialist hospital, which ensured the preservation of the building and its equipment.